Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Individual study spaces at Hotel Indigo
Contact us through our enhanced virtual enquiry desk, Ask DULib. Search our FAQs, email us, or chat with a librarian.
Ask DULib is available to all students, staff and users.
The University has procured additional study space at the Hotel Indigo, Durham on a temporary basis.
The Council Room will have 18 study spaces available to all Durham University students for individual study who may find it easier to access due to its location within the city. Please note that this space does not form part of the University Campus.
The room is open 8am-10pm, seven days a week. As of 10 November, the room will be closing at the earlier time of 8pm throughout the lockdown period.
From 2 November these will be pre-bookable only with fixed timeslots. Several timeslots will be available during these times. You can book up to three slots per week at Hotel Indigo for individual study spaces.
Each study space will have access to a power point. The hotel will have Wi-Fi available specifically for the Council Room – details will be available in the room when you visit.
The hotel have a café, Tinderbox, located on the ground floor with snacks and hot and cold drinks available – you can eat and drink items bought at the café whilst sitting at your desk.
The space will be monitored regularly throughout the day by hotel staff.
Visiting Hotel Indigo
- Enter the hotel via the main entrance from Old Elvet – as you enter the foyer, take the corridor to the left and the Council Room is the first door on your left in that corridor.
- You must scan the QR code for NHS Test and Trace as you enter the room
- Make sure you have your campus card with you, in case you are asked for ID or evidence you are a Durham University student.
- Please follow all current health and safety measures implemented across our study spaces:
- you must wear a face covering at all times within our buildings and study spaces, even when sitting at your study desk (unless you are exempt).
- when moving around the building, please follow the route plans marked and maintain social distancing measures of 2metres.
- please ensure good hand hygiene - you should wash your hands regularly and use sanitiser on entry and exit of the building and before and after touching or using any books or equipment.
- we are operating a clean as you go process – please wipe down all desks before and after use, and put all rubbish in the bins provided. The hotel will have cleaning stations available
- Please note, this is a self-service area – should you have any queries during your time in the hotel, please speak to a member of staff there directly.
- If you have any queries about visiting Hotel Indigo or have a library-specific query whilst you are there, you can contact our Virtual Enquiry Desk.
How to book
- Visit our Space Booking system
- Select to make an individual booking for the service you require
- Select the date you wish to book
- Select the space you wish to book, depending on capacity
- Select the time you wish to attend from those available
- You will then need to validate and confirm your booking before your space is confirmed
- You must bring your campus card on the day to be able to access the building and to borrow any books
- You are able to book up until the beginning of the timeslot, or once it has already started (depending on availability).
If you have any problems when booking, please contact our Virtual Enquiry Desk.
Here's a quick walk around video to show you where to find our study spaces at Hotel Indigo.
Please note, this video has no sound.