Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Browse and Borrow
Browse and Borrow is available to students and staff who are currently on campus for essential use only. You can access the Bill Bryson Library for up to an hour to browse the shelves and borrow any books you require.
This booking won’t give access to any study spaces – please see details of our Stay and Study service.
For University staff and students who are not currently residing in Durham, we have the following alternative services available:
- Postal loans service, which has been extended to all University staff and students who are not currently residing in Durham.
- Scan and Deliver service, available to current University members who are not currently residing in Durham.
Things you need to know
- Bookings are available during the following times:
- Monday-Sunday - between 8am-6am (22 hour opening, seven days a week)
- There will be a number of timeslots available throughout our opening times for you to book
- You are asked to leave promptly at the end of your booked timeslot.
- You can make your booking up to four days in advance.
- You must bring your campus card in order to access the building during your booked slot and to borrow any books.
- We will only be allowing entry to users who have pre-booked. Once we have reached capacity for the day, we will be unable to allow any further bookings.
- If you are unable to use your booking, please login to the Space Bookings system and use the ‘Manage your Order’ option to cancel your booking to allow the space to become available for someone else.
- When visiting the Library, please wear a face covering in the building at all times, unless exempt.
- When moving around the building, please follow the route plans marked and maintain social distancing measures of 2metres.
- Please ensure good hand hygiene - you should wash your hands regularly and use sanitiser on entry and exit of the building and before and after touching or using any books or equipment.
- For full details of the services and what to expect when visiting the Library, please visit our Services Guide.
If you have symptoms of Covid-19 or have received a positive test result, you should self-isolate, book a Covid-19 test and inform the University - you must not visit the Library. Please visit our webpages for full details.
How to book
- Visit our booking system and select to make an individual booking
- You will then be able to select 'Bill Bryson Library: Browse and Borrow'
- Select the date you wish to book
- Select the space you wish to book, depending on capacity
- Select the time you wish to attend from those available
- You will then need to validate and confirm your booking before your timeslot is confirmed
- You must bring your campus card on the day to access the building and to borrow any books.
- You are able to book up until the beginning of the timeslot, or once it has already started (depending on availability).
If you have any problems when booking, please contact our Virtual Enquiry Desk.